Conservation is good for the planet, but it’s also a smart business strategy. In a launch event for AQ’s latest special report on sustainable development in the Amazon, a panel of experts debated what a green economy would look like, and what’s standing in the way.
Despite logistical and political barriers, “there are lots of tailwinds that should foster the right approach,” said Natura’s Andrea Álvares. “The Amazon can be much more than just a carbon store,” said entrepreneur and investor Denis Minev, suggesting a “moonshot for the Amazon,” an idea echoed by Imazon co-founder Beto Veríssimo.
Click on the video above to listen to the conversation in its entirety. The program was hosted by:
This program was livestreamed on May 27 at 4:00 p.m. ET.
- Andrea Álvares, Chief Brand, Innovation, International and Sustainability Officer, Natura @AndreaAlvares
- Marina Grossi, President, Brazilian Business Council for Sustainable Development
- Denis Minev, CEO, Bemol; Angel investor in sustainable Amazon projects @dminev
- Beto Veríssimo, Co-Founder, Imazon
- Brian Winter, Editor-in-Chief, Americas Quarterly @brazilbrian (moderator)
Tags: Amazon, Events, The Amazon Issue